Sara M. Donohue, Principal
Family Law And Collaborative Law
Additional Practice Areas
- Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Post Divorce Issues
- Collaborative Law
Working as a family law attorney for over twenty-five years, Sara M. Donohue has practiced in the field of domestic law in both Maryland and the District of Columbia. Her practice includes working on complex divorce and custody matters. In addition to handling matrimonial matters in the traditional negotiation and litigation modes, she has been trained in Collaborative Law and is a member of Collaborative Divorce Association, Inc. Ms. Donohue also has an interest in the practice of adoption law.
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1987
- B.A. (cum laude), University of Massachusetts, 1983
Bar and Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Points of Distinction
Ms. Donohue has received numerous honors, awards, and recognition by publications and surveys, including:
- Named in the "Best Lawyers in America" publication in the Family Law category in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Named to the "Maryland Top 100 Lawyers" by Super Lawyers in 2013
- Named to the "Maryland Super Lawyers" listing in 2012 and 2013
- Named to the "Top 50 Women Maryland Super Lawyers" listing in 2012 and 2013
- Named to the "Washington DC Super Lawyers" listing in 2012 and 2013
- Named to the "Washington DC & Baltimore’s Top Rated Lawyers" ALM listing in 2013
- Named to Baltimore Magazine’s “Top 50 Women Attorneys in Maryland” listing in January 2012
- Named to Washingtonian's "Best Divorce Lawyers" listing in 2000, 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2011
- Named to Bethesda Magazine's "Top Divorce Lawyers" listing in 2010
She has been a member of the Executive Committee of the Montgomery County Bar Association and has acted on the Judicial Selection Panel Committee, the Nominations & Elections Committee of the Montgomery County Bar Association. She is also a Master of the Bench in the Montgomery County Chapter of the American Inns of Court. Ms. Donohue has served as the co-chair of the Family Law Section of the Montgomery County Bar Association, president of the Women’s Bar Association of the Maryland-Montgomery County Chapter, chairperson of the Circuit Bench/Bar Committee, member of the board of directors and former treasurer for the Collaborative Divorce Association Inc.
Ms. Donohue is an active member of the Montgomery County Bar Association, participating in the Executive Committee, the Judicial Selections Committee and the Family Law Section. She is also on the Montgomery County Circuit Court Bench Bar Committee and the Maryland Inquiry Committee, and is a member of the Women’s Bar Association, Montgomery County Chapter and the American Bar Association.
Ms. Donohue has spoken on a number of occasions on various topics related to her profession as a family law attorney for programs with the Montgomery County Bar Association.